Thursday, January 30, 2014

Blog Post #3

How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?

Peer editing is critiquing work of someone your age. The three steps in peer editing are to make compliments, suggestions and corrections. It is important to stay positive when it comes to editing, we do not want to be a negative Nancy. Complimenting can be picking out the parts that you can relate to and commenting in a positive way. Starting with the positive will let your peer know you are not here to attack their writing, only to help them improve. Next comes suggestions on word choice, detail and organization. Did the writer keep you interested with the detail? If not, make a positive suggestion. Tearing someone down about their writing is not the way to inspire improvement. The last step is correction. You can make corrections on spelling, grammar, and punctuation. In the end I know your peer will appreciate the corrections you have made. They can learn from your feedback and work hard not to make the same mistakes again. If your work was never edited how could you improve?




I have learned from the video Top Ten Mistakes that it is important not to become too critical or too careless. You must find a happy medium between Whatever William and Picky Patty. You don't want to offend or embarrass your peers. As a future teachers we will deal a lot with editing. I want to be able to correct my students in a way that will not humiliate them or diminish their creativity.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney! I have enjoyed reading your posts. What I like to do before I read the post I am supposed to critique is read the blog post where we were told to tell about ourselves. I too am double majoring; except, I am Secondary Education and Biology. Your love for children and teaching others are thoroughly shown through your work. Your writing, text layout, and design are very good. There is only a few minor changes that you could make to enhance your blog post. The 2 videos that are uploaded with your post are very good at demonstrating and explaining peer editing. What I suggest to make your work of writing flow smoother is to explain about the videos. "What they are. What they do. What they explain, What it is about. How is this relevant to my post?" These are some of the questions and statements I would contribute to my next post to make your blog post flow smoother. In all, very nice work! God bless!

    ReplyDelete