Thursday, March 13, 2014

C4T #2

Teacher


Dawn DuPriest posted on January 10th a blog about the pros and cons of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). First she clarified what the Common Core Standards are and what they were not. She states that the standards have made things much harder for the teacher but in return made the students and teachers better learners. Comment#1 My name is Courtney Fields and I am also a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I am just now being introduced to the CCSS and your blog has defiantly shed some light on this subject. You stated that the use of CCSS has made not only the students better learners but also the teachers. In EDM310 we learn a lot about how teachers must learn continuously because it is never ending. It's great to see that you are putting that into action. I also agree with your statement about the use of technology. In my college math class we have a website that allows us students to work problems, take quizzes, and watch tutorials. I assume they do not have something similar but that would be a wonderful tool for middle schoolers. I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing!

Dawn DuPriest posted on December 10th a blog called The Hour of Code Activities. In this post she explains that coding is no longer a thing of the past. The software has improved and is a great tool for math modeling. The students can receive instant feed back and they are able to revisit each topic to correct any mistakes made on their first attempt. The project has worked exceptionally well and the students have learned to be real life problem-solvers. I am not familiar with coding but after reading this post I intend to research and find out about the program. I thought it would be difficult to apply PBL to a math class but now I can see all things are possible through technology. Comment#2 I agree, visuals are rich and this project brings this lesson to life. Students love to be able to create things on their own and be good at it. Projects such as this one will help students in the future to become great problem solvers. The skills you are teaching will be essential to their future jobs and careers. Great job! Dawn DuPriest's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment